International Union of Operating Engineers
Local 30

If You Get Legally Separated or Divorced

If you and your spouse get a legal separation or divorce, your spouse will no longer be eligible for coverage as a dependent under the Plan.

However, your spouse may elect COBRA Continuation Coverage if you are in a Private Sector or Municipal plan for up to 36 months. You or your spouse must notify the Fund Office within 60 days of the divorce or legal separation date for your spouse to obtain COBRA Continuation Coverage.

If you legally separate or divorce, provide the Fund Office with:

  • A copy of your separation or divorce decree
  • If you have children for whom you do not have custody, a copy of any Qualified Medical Child Support Orders (QMCSOs).

Your spouse is your default beneficiary in the PensionAnnuityLife Insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (Private Sector/Municipal) plans, as well as the Municipal Death Benefit (Active/Retired) plans.

If you get divorced, you must contact the Fund Office to remove your spouse as a beneficiary.

Divorcing your spouse converts any Husband and Wife annuity payment plan into Single Life Annuity payment plans.

If you are a Municipal employee your pension is through the New York City Employee Retirement System (NYCERS). Please visit the NYCERS website for more information.