International Union of Operating Engineers
Local 30

If You Enter the Uniformed Services

Notify the Fund Office in writing before you enter the Uniformed Services.

If you are called into the Uniformed Services for up to 31 days, your health coverage will continue as long as you make the required self-payment.

If you are called into the Uniformed Services for more than 31 days:

  • You may continue your coverage by paying the required self-payments for up to 24 consecutive months or sooner, in accordance with the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA).
  • Coverage under USERRA will run concurrently with COBRA Continuation Coverage (Private Sector/Municipal). The cost of continuation coverage under USERRA will be the same cost as COBRA Continuation Coverage.

If you do not continue coverage under USERRA, your coverage will end immediately when you enter the Uniformed Services. Your Dependents will have the opportunity to elect COBRA Continuation Coverage.

When you are discharged or released from the Uniformed Services, you may apply for reemployment with your former Employer.

For more information on USERRA and how your benefits are affected by joining the Uniformed Services, contact the Fund office.  

You will continue to earn your Pension Plan credit while you are away on active duty with the Uniformed Services. You must return to active employment with a Contributing Employer within 90 days of being honorably discharged from active duty.

  • Your time while in the Uniformed Services counts as vesting service.
  • You may earn up to four years of pension credits while away on military leave.

If you do not return to employment with a Local 30 Contributing Employer and are no longer a participating member of the Local 30 Union, you may collect your Local 30 Pension Plan benefits.

  • Depending on your eligibility, you may receive a reduced benefit for being under the normal retirement age.
  • You may also keep your Pension Plan account open until you are eligible to receive the full amount of your vested benefits.

If you are a Municipal employee your pension is through the New York City Employee Retirement System (NYCERS). Please visit the NYCERS website for more information.

For more information about how your Pension benefits are affected by joining the Uniformed Services, please contact the Fund office.  

For more information about USERRA, contact the Fund Office.